To celebrate the release of his latest movie ‘Meet Dave’, we look at ten fascinating Eddie Murphy factoids.
Eddie Murphy INSIDE Eddie Murphy?- No, it’s not some crazy act we dare not think of, it is in fact the premise of his latest film ‘Meet Dave’.
A massive fireball from space hits New York’s Central Park and an ordinary man emerges unscathed. The man turns out to be a spaceship operated by 100 human-looking aliens who are one-quarter inch tall and seeking a way to save their planet; complications ensue when their captain falls in love with an Earth woman who’s always picked losers for previous romances.
In ‘Meet Dave’, Murphy plays the roles of both ship and captain – here we look at ten Murphy fascinating factoids.
(1) Eddie won three worst actor awards in the 2008 Golden Raspberries – all for the role of Norbit.
(2) He announced his engagement to Tracey Edmonds in August 2007. They separated after just two weeks of marriage.
(3) In June 2007, it was revealed that a DNA test had proven Eddie was the father of Mel B’s baby – despite Eddie’s insistent claims of denial.
(4)Murphy was born to Charles Edward Murphy, a transit police officer, and his wife Lillian, a telephone operator, his father left the family when Eddie was three years old and was stabbed to death five years later.
(5)Following the 2007 Oscars, it was revealed that Eddie stormed out of the ceremony after losing out for the Best Supporting Actor award. When Alan Arkin was announced as the winner of the award, an angry Eddie left with former girlfriend Tracey Edmonds.
(6)He is known for playing multiple roles in his films. He got the idea for it afterwatching another one of his idols, Peter Sellers, in one of his all time favourite films ‘Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb’.
(7)Eddie was ordered by a court to give ‘Coming To America’ co-writer Art Buchwald 19% of his own earning because he hadn’t given credit to Art for developing the story with him.
(8)Eddie also started a music career in the 80’s where he recorded the popular song ‘Party all the time’ with Rick James.
(9) His favourite TV show is ‘Star Trek’. He was even considered for the movie ‘Star Trek: The Voyage Home’.
(10) Eddie played the main role of Axel Foley in the popular Beverly Hills Cop films. A fourth instalment in the series is expected summer 2010.
See Murphy in ‘Meet Dave’ – in Irish cinemas from Friday.