Hellboy returns this weekend in ‘The Mutant Chronicles’. To celebrate, Movies.ie presents ten things you never knew about Ron Perlman.
Hellboy returns this weekend, now with added Mutants! In ‘The Mutant Chronicles’, we travel to the 23rd century. The earth’s natural resources have been exhausted and battle rages between the soldiers of four leading corporations: the Capitol, Bauhaus, Mishima and Imperial. At some point killer necro-mutants are unleashed and only Brother Samuel (played by none other than Ron Perlman) believes he can save the planet…
To celebrate the release of the film, Movies.ie presents ten things you never knew about big Red – aka Ron Perlman.
1. Perlman attended the University of Minnesota from 1971 to spring 1973; he graduated with his then new degree of Master of Fine Arts.
2. With the creation of Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) at 58 he became the oldest actor ever to play a main superhero.
3. His wife, Opal Perlman, was a fashion designer, but now works as a jewellery designer.
4. The studio behind Hellboy wanted a bigger name like Vin Diesel to play the title role, but del Toro fought for Perlman to get the role.
5. Although he doesn’t speak French, Perlman learned all of his lines for his part in the french film ‘Cité des enfants perdus, La’
6. He lists Nobody’s Fool (1994) as his favourite movie.
7. He broke a rib while filming the subway scenes in Hellboy (2004). He jumped onto a train that was coming towards him.
8. Voiced the mutant villain Clayface on “Batman”, a character who, ironically, was a disfigured actor, then voiced the villain Slade on “Teen Titans” , and also did the voice of the Hulk/Bruce Banner twice in two separate series, one for a guest spot on “Fantastic Four” and one for a guest spot on “Iron Man”, in addition to providing the voice of Orion for “Justice League”. He then played the comic book character Hellboy in Hellboy. He went to portray Batman in Justice League Heroes.
9. Was offered the role of Piccolo in Dragonball (2009), but turned it down to work on Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008) instead.
10. Producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin tried hard for Perlman to get cast as Edward Blake aka The Comedian in Watchmen (2009).