We bring you trivia about the star of A MOST VIOLENT YEAR…
A MOST VIOLENT YEAR is released in Irish cinemas this week. Directed by JC Chandor, the film is the story of Abel (Oscar Isaac) an immigrant trying to make an honest living in New York City, in the most violent year in the city’s history. Jessica Chastain plays Anna, Abel’s wife, but a woman who is more than able to stand on her own two feet. Here at Movies.ie, we have a lot of love for Jessica Chastain, so we gathered together some facts about the actress.
1. Educating Jessica Jessica struggled academically in high school, but went to the prestigious Julliard School for the Performing Arts, thanks to a scholarship set up by Robin Williams. One of Chastain’s classmates at Julliard was her co-star in A MOST VIOLENT YEAR; Oscar Isaac.
2. Word of Mouth Chastain was personally handpicked by Al Pacino to play opposite him as the title character of the play SALOME, the rehearsals of which were made into the film WILDE SALOME. Pacino later recommended her to Terrence Malick, who gave her an audition for THE TREE OF LIFE.
3. Housemates Michelle Williams and Jessica were once roommates. They were both nominated for Oscars in 2012 and have remained good friends.
4. Drop Out Jessica was cast in, and dropped out of DIANA, OBILVION and IRON MAN 3. She was replaced by Naomi Watts, Olga Kurylenko and Rebecca Hall, respectively.
5. Eat Well Chastain’s mother is a vegan chef, and Jessica is also a follower of the plant based diet. She was named PETA’s sexiest vegetarian in 2012.
6. Number One Jessica holds the honour of bring the only woman to twice be in the top two films at the US box office on one weekend. Between 2-4 September 2011 THE HELP and THE DEBT were numbers 1 and 2 at the US box office, and in 2013, this was repeated with ZERO DARK THIRTY and MAMA.
7. Call me, Maybe? Chastain’s agents originally turned down ZERO DARK THIRTY on the actress’ behalf. Director Kathryn Bigelow got Chastain’s number from LAWLESS producer Megan Ellison, and personally called Chastain to offer her the part. Obviously, the actress accepted, and was Oscar nominated for her performance.
8. Luck of Ireland Chastain filmed the upcoming MISS JULIE in Ireland. In order to offer her the role of Murph in INTERSTELLAR, Christopher Nolan sent an assistant to our fair shores, with a script watermarked in Chastain’s name. She was not allowed to keep the script after she read it, but it obviously impressed her as she signed on to the film.
9. Never Fully Dressed Without Armani Jessica Chastain thought that her nouveau riche character in A MOST VIOLENT YEAR would only wear Armani. She wrote to the fashion house, to ask them to supply Anna’s costumes. They obliged, therefore every outfit that Chastain’s character, Anna, wears is vintage Armani from 1981.
10. What’s Next? A MOST VIOLENT YEAR is released in Irish cinemas on January 23rd 2014. THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ELEANOR RIGBY, CRIMSON PEAK and THE MARTIAN are due for release in Ireland in 2015.