What true life documentaries made the cut for the 2011 Academy awards?
The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences today released the shortlist of 15 movies selected in the feature length documentary category for next years Oscars. The list, chosen out of 101 films will be shortened down to just five in January. Sadly the hotly tipped Irish documentary THE COLONY didn’t make the final 15.
Here is the shortlist, our money is on Banksy’s documentary ‘Exit through the gift shop’.
* Client 9: The Rise and Fall of Eliot Spitzer, Alex Gibney, director (ES Productions LLC)
* Enemies of the People, Rob Lemkin and Thet Sambath, directors (Old Street Films)
* Exit through the Gift Shop, Banksy, director (Paranoid Pictures)
* Gasland, Josh Fox, director (Gasland Productions, LLC)
* Genius Within: The Inner Life of Glenn Gould, Michele Hozer and Peter Raymont, directors (White Pine Pictures)
* Inside Job, Charles Ferguson, director (Representational Pictures)
* The Lottery, Madeleine Sackler, director (Great Curve Films)
* Precious Life, Shlomi Eldar, director (Origami Productions)
* Quest for Honor, Mary Ann Smothers Bruni, director (Smothers Bruni Productions)
* Restrepo, Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger, directors (Outpost Films)
* This Way of Life, Thomas Burstyn, director (Cloud South Films)
* The Tillman Story, Amir Bar-Lev, director (Passion Pictures/Axis Films)
* Waiting for ‘Superman’, Davis Guggenheim, director (Electric Kinney Films)
* Waste Land, Lucy Walker, director (Almega Projects)
* William Kunstler: Disturbing the Universe, Emily Kunstler and Sarah Kunstler, directors (Disturbing the Universe LLC)
The full Oscars list will be announced in January 2011.