Gilliams Don Quixote Resumes January 19, 2009 Terry Gilliam Takes On Don Quixote. Again. Terry Gilliam has resumed work on his abandoned film The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, starring Johnny Depp. The director began filming Don Quixote back 2000 but was forced to abandon the shoot when star Jean Rochefort suffered a serious injury. However, Gilliam told Empire that production on the project has now resumed. “Tony [Grisoni] and I have started rewriting Don Quixote just this last week. [We] finally got the script back,” he said. “I re-read the greatest script ever written and realise we gotta get rewriting! I really wanna knock that one out in the next month or so.” When asked if the film would differ from his ill-fated 2000 attempt, he revealed that he had “some very different ideas” for the movie, adding: “[I’m] starting to think I was lucky, because maybe the film will be better seven years later. It will have matured a bit longer.” Depp is still attached to star, but the role of Don Quixote, originally played by Rochefort, will be recast. Filming is expected to begin later this year, with a slated 2011 release date.