Premiers

Premiers

1901 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

Massman says

Hey there,

I was wondering, what's the difference between a Premier and a Free Screening? Last Wednesday there was a Free Screening to Watchman and Marley and Me...although Watchman had a Premier the previous night in the Savoy. Does that mean the Free Screening of Marley and Me was the Irish Premier or do certain films just not get Irish Premiers?

...I know The Dark Knight and Zohan were actual Premiers (Both of which Movies.ie gave tickets away for)...so why not the Watchman one?

...maybe Movies.ie can help with my confussion by shedding a little light on their subtle differences! I'm also just kinda interested to see how the business of film promotion goes down these days...

1097 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

movies.ie says

The main difference between a premiere and an advance screening is that the premiere is usually run by the movie company, they will invite guests and media and depending on the movie and screen size we may get offered a number of tickets to giveaway, for Dark Knight we had several hundred tickets to the premiere.

Its usually only big movies that have premieres in Ireland, especially if the film stars are in the country - like Zohan or the Boy in the striped pyjamas.

Some screenings we have exclusive access to, like Tropic Thunder, Marley and Me, Watchmen. While others we share with a media partner, eg: Doubt last week was shared 50/50 with news talk. 

Different movies come with different rules, some upcoming movies have a definite no public previews policy, it is particurly tough to preview a movie if it is opening at the same time in America, mostly due to security concerns. We worked quite hard to secure the Watchmen preview, for which we had the entire screen to ourselves. 

Going forward we may look at other events besides straight forward screenings, the idea of classic movies and table-quizes are great. Again, there's a lot of work involved but if interest is there we'll look into it. 

Hope that answers your question somewhat?

1372 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

Doomofman says

Table quizzes eh? :P Wonder what genius suggested that :P \o/

9274 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

Mr_Twist says

loving the table quiz idea

1535 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

Divasanon says

Good thinking on the table quiz!  The Lemons vs the Lemonettes.

2358 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

BIGBADBRIAN says

I think Movies.ie are the gettin the picture. The classic movie screenings like they talked about Godfather 2 and playing the game and stuff sounds like fantastic nights. But the screenings are savage. If its not broken, dont fix it.

3809 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

masonica says

Damn this is waaaay down the line but if movies.ie and sega get together for the Aliens game(s) and a screening I'll probably explode in a geektomic blast.

9640 posts
View profile

reply | reply with quote

ssconnolly says

I think the table quizzes is a great idea. Also liking the idea of seeing classic films on te big screen. Maybe some Pulp Fiction during the summer. I must say I'm suprised that Movies.ie have managed to make me like the website more. Well done.